Duck Nest Cooking Class Recipe
Thanks to all the students who joined the Duck Nest for their cooking class this week - Chef Ryan had a wonderful time with you all! Please find an additional copy of the highly-adaptable recipe below:
Quick Pantry Stew w/ Garbanzo Beans & Veggies
Serves 6; can be frozen up to 2 months
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 yellow onions, half-julienned
1 teaspoon dried basil, thyme, rosemary or “Italian seasoning” (optional)
Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
2 (15 oz) cans garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed
1 (28 oz) can (or two smaller cans) crushed or diced tomatoes
1 (14-15 oz) can corn or green beans, drained
Salt & pepper to taste
1. In a pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat
2. Add the onions and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. You want the onions to soften and brown a little. (The salt helps the onions soften.)
3. Add the dried herbs and dried pepper flakes, if using.
4. Add half the garbanzo beans and smash them up with a fork or potato masher. Add the rest of the garbanzos, the tomatoes and the corn or green beans.
5. Simmer for about 5 minutes and season to taste.
6. Serve with rice, pasta or bread, if desired. You can top the stew with olive oil, fresh herbs or parmesan cheese if you would like.
Keep a clean produce bag in the freezer – Save and freeze your veggie scraps! When your bag is full, just empty it into a pot of simmering water, maybe add an chopped onion and/or a bay leaf, simmer for a couple hours and strain. BOOM, homemade veggie stock! Basically FREE.