Hearth & Table - November 17, 2022
With temperatures dropping into the 20s overnight, we wanted to offer up some piping hot curry to warm you up - hope you enjoyed it!
Kerala-style potato curry over rice
3 tablespoons cooking oil (canola, vegetable, or grapeseed)
1 onion, finely chopped
1⁄2 head garlic, cloves peeled and sliced
1 green bell pepper, diced
3 medium yukon gold potatoes, diced
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1⁄2 teaspoon coriander powder
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
1 cup vegetable stock (or water)
1 (about 14 oz) can coconut milk
Salt to taste (about 1 tsp salt & 1⁄2 tsp. pepper)
Rice for serving, cooked according to the package instructions
1. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often. Add the garlic and cook for 5 minutes more.
2. Add the bell pepper, potatoes, paprika, turmeric, coriander and mustard seeds, and cook for 5 more minutes.
3. Add the vegetable stock (or water), coconut milk, and about 2 teaspoons of salt, and cook until the potatoes are tender. Taste for seasoning, and serve over rice.
Pear & blueberry crisp
1 lb frozen blueberries
1 1⁄2 lbs pears, diced
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 stick butter, melted
1⁄2 cups brown sugar
2 1⁄2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 teaspoons salt
1. In a large bowl, combine the pears and blueberries with the 2 tablespoons brown sugar and lemon juice. Allow to macerate (and thaw) at room temperature for 30-60 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
3. Combine the butter, oats, flour, brown sugar and salt into a chunky crisp topping.
4. In a baking dish, pour the fruit and liquid in the bottom, and make a layer of crisp topping to cover. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until the crisp topping is golden. Serve as-is or with ice cream. Careful, it'll be hot for a while!