Hearth & Table - October 7, 2021
Dessert is back, baby! As we welcomed Duck Corps volunteers back into the kitchen with Chef Ryan this week, we realized we could begin doing desserts again - and we are so pleased.
Here are this week's recipes!
Potato & vegetable curry over rice
3 russet potatoes, diced
Cooking oil (canola, vegetable, or grapeseed)
Salt & pepper to taste (about 1 tsp salt & 1⁄2 tsp. pepper)
2 Tbsp. cooking oil
2 onions, julienned (cut into strips)
1⁄2 head garlic, cloves peeled and sliced
2 Tbsp. yellow curry paste (less for less spice, more for more)
2 small cans coconut milk
1 1⁄2 cups water or veg. stock
2 bell peppers (any color; I like red), diced
1 bag/sm. tub baby spinach
Salt/soy sauce & pepper to taste
Rice for serving, cooked according to the package instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 400. Toss the potatoes in enough oil to coat, and season w/ salt & pepper. Roast for about 30 minutes, until the potatoes are done inside & lightly browned.
2. In a large pot, heat the 2 Tbsp. cooking oil over medium-high heat, and add the onions. Cook until softened, translucent & starting to brown, then add the garlic. Reduce the heat to medium & cook for 5 minutes more.
3. Add the curry paste and cook a few minutes more. Then, add the coconut milk, water or vegetable stock, bell peppers and spinach. Cook for 10 minutes, then add the potatoes. Serve over the rice.
Cinnamon baked apples w/ coconut whipped cream
6 large apples, peeled, cored & sliced thinly
2 lemons, juice & zest
2⁄3 cup organic sugar or coconut sugar
2 Tbsp. cinnamon
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 pinch kosher salt
2 cans coconut milk, chilled in the refrigerator over
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Toss all the ingredients except the coconut milk together and put in a baking dish. Bake covered for 45 minutes, then uncover and cook 10 minutes more.
2. In the meantime, make the coconut whipped cream: whip the chilled coconut milk solids (use the liquid for something else) with a standing mixer or hand mixer until fluffy. Add some sugar as you’re whipping if desired. Serve over the baked apples.