Hearth & Table - February 10, 2022
Be honest, those of you who've eaten with us awhile... did you miss the balsamic berry crisp? You did. We did! It's so good! Between that and a good baked pasta, this was (easy-peasy) comfort food to the max.
Baked pasta w/ artichokes & greens
3 tablespoons olive oil (not extra virgin)
1 onion, half-julienned
1⁄2 head garlic, cloves peeled & sliced
1 small can artichoke hearts, drained
1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
1 large can crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried basil
Salt & pepper to taste
1 8oz bag spinach
2 roma tomatoes, diced
1 lb pasta of choice (something like shells, penne or rigatoni; can be GF)
About 6 oz shaved parmesan cheese (or 2-3 oz nutritional yeast for a vegan version)
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. The onions should be translucent and browned.
3. Add the garlic and artichoke hearts and cook 5 minutes more.
4. Stir in the red pepper flakes (if using), the crushed tomatoes and dried basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. When the sauce is heated through, add the spinach and let it wilt down. Turn off the heat and add the fresh tomatoes.
6. Transfer the sauce to a large bowl and rinse out the pot. Fill the pot with enough salted water to cook the pasta and bring it to a boil.
7. Cook the pasta 2 minutes short of al dente (according to the package instructions) and drain. Toss the pasta with the sauce.
8. Transfer the pasta to an oiled baking dish, top with parmesan cheese (or nutritional yeast) and bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Balsamic berry crisp
2 lbs frozen berries
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 stick butter, melted
1⁄2 cups brown sugar
1⁄2 cups flour
2 1⁄2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 teaspoons salt
1. In a large bowl, combine the berries with the 2 tablespoons sugar and the vinegar. Allow to macerate (and thaw) at room temperature for 30-60 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
3. Combine the butter, oats, flour, brown sugar and salt into a chunky crisp topping.
4. In a baking dish, pour the fruit and liquid in the bottom, and make a layer of crisp topping to cover. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until the crisp topping is golden. Serve as-is or with ice cream. Careful, it'll be hot for a while!