- Sister Clare Josef-Maier
Hearth & Table - November 10, 2022
Updated: Nov 14, 2022
The weeks are going by quickly!
Hearth & Table has two weeks left: Thursday, 11/17, (closed Thanksgiving), and Thursday, 12/1.
We've been up and running since 2018, and have found a drop-off in both volunteer and diner engagement during finals week, so close with the last week of classes.
Do we need to re-examine that format? If so, let us know! Meanwhile, here are last Thursday's recipes:
Chickpea & pumpkin stew w/ tahini & lemon over rice
3 tablespoons cooking oil (canola, vegetable, or grapeseed)
2 onions, julienned
1⁄2 head garlic, cloves peeled & sliced
1⁄2 cup tahini
1 can pumpkin puree
2 cups water or vegetable stock
2 small cans garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas), drained & rinsed
1 bag/sm. tub baby spinach or arugula
1⁄4 cup lemon juice
1⁄4 cup honey
1 bu parsley, finely chopped
Salt & pepper to taste (about 1 tsp salt & 1⁄2 tsp. pepper)
Rice for serving, cooked according to the package instructions
1. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often. Add the garlic and cook for 5 minutes more.
2. Add the pumpkin, tahini and water, and cook for 5 more minutes. Then add the chickpeas, and cook for 10 minutes more.
3. Add the spinach/arugula, honey, parsley, lemon juice, salt & pepper, and cook until the greens are wilted. Taste for seasoning, and serve over rice.
Pear tart w/ strawberry-thyme glaze
1 sheet frozen puff pastry dough
1⁄2 cup sour cream
3 small Bartlett pears, peeled, halved and cored
1⁄2 cup strawberry jam
1 teaspoon lemon juice
4 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves picked and chopped
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Leave the puff pastry out to thaw on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
2. When it’s thawed, flatten it and smooth down the creases (if it was folded). Spread the sour cream evenly over the pastry.
3. Arrange pear halves, cut sides down, alternating top-to-bottom.
4. In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine strawberry jam, lemon juice and thyme. Microwave 30 seconds or until bubbling; mix to combine. Brush over the tarts.
5. Bake until the crust is golden brown, 25-35 minutes; let cool on a wire rack, then cut into portions.