Black bean pozole and Flourless peanut butter brownies
Thanks, Chef Jamie, for a wonderful solo debut with Hearth & Table!
If you enjoyed your meal this past week, you'll want the recipes below...
Black bean pozole
2 to 4 (depending on how spicy you want the soup) dried guajillo chili peppers (or ancho chili peppers)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large white onion, finely chopped
1⁄2 head garlic, cloves peeled and sliced
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1⁄2 cup tomato paste
1 bay leaf
3 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can hominy, drained and rinsed
6 cups vegetable stock*
1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro (leaves and stems are both fine)
1 lime, juice and zest
1 tablespoon agave or brown sugar
Salt to taste
Optional garnishes: sliced avocado, sliced radish, sliced jalapeno, sour cream, tortilla chips, cotija cheese
1. Cut the stems off the dried chiles and shake most of the seeds out. Always wash your hands after handling chiles.
2. Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat for a few minutes. Add the chiles to the pan, pressing them flat for a few seconds with a spatula. Flip them and repeat on the other side. Set the toasted chiles aside.
3. Into the same pot, still over medium heat, add the olive oil. Add the onion and a pinch of salt (to help break down the onion). Cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring often.
4. Add the garlic and cumin and cook for 1-2 minutes, then stir in the tomato paste and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
5. Add the toasted chiles, bay leaf, beans, hominy and vegetable stock and stir well. Add 1 teaspoon salt and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Remove and discard the chile peppers and bay leaf. Add the cilantro, lime juice and zest. Taste for seasoning.
7. Serve with the garnishes of your choice.
*TIP: Keep a produce bag in the freezer for food scraps (clean veggie scraps, chicken, beef), then “simmer your compost.”
Flourless Peanut Butter Brownies
1c nut butter
3/4 cup maple syrup
1c cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
1. Mix the above ingredients together, place in a prepared 8x8" pan, and bake at 325 for about 45 minutes.