Hearth & Table - February 3, 2022
Roasted vegetables and crispy chickpeas with tahini sauce
2 onions, julienned
2 lbs (any) seasonal vegetables, cut bite-sized
2 tablespoons cooking oil (vegetable, canola, grapeseed)
Salt & pepper to taste
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained & rinsed
1 teaspoon cooking oil
Pinch of salt & pepper
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
2 cloves garlic, minced
⅔ cup tahini
1 lemon, juice & zest
½ cup water
2 teaspoons honey
Salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Toss together the 'Roasted veg' ingredients in a large bowl and arrange on a cookie/sheet pan (or pans... don't crowd the pans). Roast until everything is cooked through and lightly browned, around 25-30 minutes.
3. While they're roasting, toss together the 'Crispy chickpeas' ingredients and spread on another pan. Roast until crispy, about 20 minutes.
4. Mix together the 'Tahini sauce' ingredients.
5. To serve, sprinkle the chickpeas over the veggies and top with the sauce.
Pumpkin cake w/ blueberries
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 cup canola or vegetable oil
4 large eggs
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 cups blueberries (thawed if previously frozen)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C) and grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.
2. Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice together in a large bowl. Set aside. Whisk the oil, eggs, brown sugar, granulated sugar, pumpkin, and vanilla extract together until combined. Fold in the blueberries. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and use a mixer or whisk until completely combined. Batter will be thick.
3. Spread batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30-36 minutes. Baking times vary, so keep an eye on yours. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If you find the top or edges of the cake is/are browning too quickly in the oven, loosely cover it with aluminum foil.
4. Remove the cake from the oven and set the entire pan on a wire rack. Allow to cool completely and serve.