Hearth & Table Kick-off - Sept 29, 2022
It felt so good to be back, y'all! Seeing faces both familiar and new, and getting into the swing of both on-site community dining and takeaway meal distribution was all good. Thank you to everyone who joined us!
We hope you loved the food as much as we did. Our recipes are designed to be flexible, so use what you have! Last night we used greens and sweet peppers like these cherry bomb peppers to add some vibrant color and texture to yellow split pea dal, which we served over jasmine rice for a delicious vegan, gluten-free meal.
Of course, the star of Hearth & Table meals winds up often being the dessert. Last night was no different, so if you were one of the ones asking for the pear cake recipe, keep on scrolling... And we hope to see you next week, friends!
Indian yellow split pea dal over rice
1 cup yellow split peas (uncooked), rinsed
2 cups vegetable stock (see note below), or water
1 tablespoon garam masala
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons cooking oil (or butter)
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, peeled & sliced
1 tablespoon grated ginger
Other vegetables if desired (we used sweet peppers, kale and frisee)
More salt & pepper to taste
Lemon juice to taste
Rice for serving, cooked according to the package instructions
1. In a large pot, combine the yellow split peas and the vegetable stock. Bring to a slow simmer over medium heat.
2. Add the garam masala, cumin and 1 teaspoon salt, turn the heat to low and cover. Cook for 25-30 minutes.
3. In the meantime, heat the oil or butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. Cook the onion for 5-6 minutes, then add the garlic and ginger, and cook 3 minutes more. Add any additional vegetables you’ve chosen to add.
4. Add the onion/vegetable mixture to the split peas when they’re done. Season the dal to taste, then serve over rice.
Easy pear cake (a.k.a. Clafouti)
3 C diced pears
3 large eggs
3⁄4 C milk or cream
1⁄4 t salt
2 T butter, melted
1 t vanilla extract
1⁄4 t almond extract (optional)
1⁄2 C white sugar
3⁄4 C unbleached white flour
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9” pie pan or 9” round cake pan with butter. Put the fruit in the pan.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, melted butter, vanilla, sugar, and almond extract if using.
3. Whisk in the flour, stirring until most of the lumps are gone.
4. Pour the batter over the fruit. Bake the clafouti for 45 minutes or until a knife in the center comes out clean.
5. Cool and serve, cut into portions. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.